Artichokes & Bulgur Wheat
Preparation time : 20 minutes
1 fresh lemon lemon
4 small artichokes
1 each green, yellow and red peppers
1 clove of garlic
4 twigs of thyme
1 cup tomatoes
1 tbsp. capers
1 chili pepper, dried
3.5 ounces Bulgur wheat (just under half a cup)
3/4 cup of water
3 twigs of basil
2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. sugar
Fresh ground pepper
Step by step
- Remove the stems and lower leaves or the artichokes and cut into quarters.
- Rub the quarters with half a lemon.
- Grate the outside peel of the lemon and set aside.
- Place the peppers and shallots together with the garlic and thyme in a bowl. Add oil, salt and sugar. Mix.
- Finely purée the tomatoes, capers, and chili pepper.
- Put the tomato purée together with the bulgur and water in a pressure cooker and stir. Use the tripod to elevate place the perforated steamer inset above this mixture. Put the artichokes on the steamer with marinated pepper mixture.
- Close and lock the pressure cooker. Heat until maximum pressure is achieved.
- Turn the heat down to low. Cook for 5 minutes.
- After cooking, slowly release the pressure. When all the steam is released, open the lid and remove the steamer inset, and keep the artichokes warm until they are served.
- Remove the thyme and garlic from the vegetable mixture.
- Purée the vegetable mixture with the lemon peel and 1–2 tbsp. lemon juice.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Before serving, pluck the basil leaves and stir into the bulgur with the olive oil. Serve the artichokes with the bulgur and the vegetable salsa on plates.
- Enjoy a flavor filled delicious light meal, or serve as a vegetable side.