Beet and Cabbage Sauerkraut
Preparation time : 7 hours 15 minutes
4 cups spring, distilled or filtered water
2 tbsp sea salt
4 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
2 cups grated beets
4 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional)
Step by step
- Stir together water and salt; let stand until salt dissolves.
- Combine cabbage, beets, ginger, rosemary, orange zest, and fennel seeds (if using) in the removable cooking pot. Place the pot in the multi pot. Pour salted water over vegetables to submerge in liquid.
- Close the lid, then secure it by turning it counter-clockwise to lock it in place. Turn the vent knob to RELEASE. Press the COOKING MODE button until the FERMENT indicator light is illuminated. 3:00 will show on the LED display. Increase to 7 hours. Wait 3 seconds. The multi pot will warm up. Let sauerkraut ferment for 7 hours.
- After fermenting, transfer sauerkraut to clean jar. Seal and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
- Chlorinated water can inhibit the fermentation process, so be sure to use spring, distilled or filtered water.
- For a more intense flavor profile, ferment the sauerkraut for another 7-hour process.
Per 2 Tbsp. (30 mL)
Saturated Fat 0g