Beets with Sweet & Sour Glaze
4 beets with leaves (red, gold, or mixed)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 cups water
1 Tbsp. salt
1 bay leaf
For the glaze:
11/4 cup orange juice
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 Tbsp. butter
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. horseradish
Salt and pepper to taste
Chives for garnish
Step by step
- Remove the leaves of the beets but leave 1 -2 inches of the stem on the beets to help retain color while cooking.
- Wash and scrub the beets with a hard brush.
- Add beets to the pressure cooker and add water, salt, vinegar and bay leaf (the beets should be barely covered).
- Close and lock the lid in place.
- Heat on high until pressure builds and the indicator rod rises showing maximum pressure.
- Turn down the heat. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, and release the pressure by slowly pressing the button on the handle.
- Once all pressure is released, open the lid.
- Check to see if the beets are tender (tender beets allow you to easily insert and remove the tip of a knife).
- Remove beets, let cool down a bit and clean by sliding off the soft skin.
- Cut in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Strain 1 cup of the juice in a shallow pot or pan and add remaining ingredients for the glaze.
- Boil over low heat to reduce until it becomes thick like syrup. Add the slice beets and carefully cover them with the glaze.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with finely cut chives.