Brown Butter Cornbread
Preparation time : 1 hour 50 minutes
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
Step by step
- Place removable cooking pot in the multi pot. Do not close the lid. Press SAUTÉ button when indicator light is flashing. P15 (minutes) will show on the LED display. Decrease time to 5 minutes. Once multi pot has reached correct temperature and has beeped 3 times, the timer will start counting down.
- Add butter. Heat butter, stirring, until butter stops frothing and turns light brown color. Transfer to bowl; let cool completely and set aside.
- Line bottom and halfway up side of inner pot with single piece of parchment paper; set aside.
- In large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda until well combined. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, buttermilk and brown butter until blended; stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Scrape into prepared inner pot; smooth top. Place inner pot in the multi pot.
- Close the lid, then secure it by turning it counter-clockwise to lock it in place. Turn the vent knob to SEAL.
- Press the COOKING MODE button until the BAKING indicator light is illuminated. P30 (30 minutes) will show on the LED display. Press the PRESET button and increase time to 1 hour, 30 minutes. Wait 3 seconds. It will start cooking and the time will start counting down. When cooking is complete, the multi pot will beep.
- To test cornbread for doneness, bake until golden brown and top springs back when lightly touched. Remove inner pot from multi pot. Transfer to rack; let cool completely or serve warm.
- For savory cornbread, fold in 1/4 cup diced bacon or 2 tbsp pickled jalapeño peppers.
- Alternatively, heat butter in a small skillet set over medium-high heat, swirling pan until butter stops frothing and turns a light brown color, about 1 to 2 minutes.
Per 1/6 recipe
Saturated Fat 8g