⅓ cup sugar
¼ cup water
2 medium eggs
⅝ cup coconut milk
½ cup evaporated milk
⅝ cup condensed milk
4 passion fruit
⅞ cup passion fruit juice
1 tsp. cornstarch
4 Tbsp. shredded coconut
½ cup flour
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder
⅛ cup sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
Mint leaves for garnish
Step by step
- Caramelize the sugar in a pot. Then carefully add the water, and simmer until the caramel has been dissolved.
- Distribute the resulting syrup in four small casserole dishes.
- Preheat oven to 350 °F (convection oven): 300 °F). Stir the eggs, and all three types of milk together in a bowl.
- Pour into the dishes. Add cold water until the forms are filled to about a 1/2 inch from the top and place dishes in the oven.
- Allow the coconut flan to set in the preheated oven at for 45–50 minutes.
- After it has cooled down, place the flan in the refrigerator to cool completely.
- While flan is baking, cut the passion fruit in half, and scrape out the fruit flesh with the seeds.
- Heat the passion fruit juice in a small pot.
- Mix the cornstarch with a little water, and use this to thicken the juice.
- Then mix in the fruit flesh with the seeds.
- Fry the shredded coconut briefly without fat in a nonstick fry pan, and place to one side.
- Knead the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and butter together in a bowl.
- Crumble the dough, and place in the freezer for about 20 minutes.
- Fry the crumbled dough lightly for 6 minutes in the nonstick fry pan.
- Remove from the pan, and mix with the shredded coconut.
- To serve the flans, remove them from the forms using a knife, and turn them upside down onto plates.
- Drizzle with the passion fruit sauce, spread the shredded coconut and chocolate sprinkles on them.
- Garnish with mint leaves.