Eggs Benny with Smoked Salmon and Béarnaise Sauce
Preparation time : 1 hour 25 minutes
8 eggs, cold
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp minced shallot
4 tsp finely chopped fresh tarragon, divided
1 tsp crushed peppercorns
1/2 cup butter
3 egg yolks
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
Pinch each salt and pepper
4 plain Montreal-style bagels, split and toasted
2 tbsp butter, softened
8 oz smoked salmon
1 cup arugula
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh chives
Step by step
- Fill the removable cooking pot with a minimum of 3QT of water and place it in the multi pot. Add eggs. Lock lid into place. Set vent knob to open. On multi pot, press SousVide button. It starts out at a temperature of 122˚F. Press SousVide button again within 3 seconds and set temperature to 145˚F for soft poached eggs. Set cook time for 1 hour.
- When water has reached desired temperature, multi pot will beep 3 times. Add eggs and place the lid on, keeping the vent open. When cooking time is complete, carefully remove eggs.
- Béarnaise Sauce: Meanwhile, in small saucepan set over medium heat, combine vinegar, shallot, half of the tarragon, and peppercorns; cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until reduced to 1 tbsp. Strain and set aside.
- In clean, small saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat until melted and bubbling. Meanwhile, combine egg yolks, vinegar mixture, lemon zest, lemon juice and mustard in blender; purée until smooth. With motor running, pour bubbling butter into blender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in remaining tarragon. Keep warm. Crack eggs and remove poached eggs from shell. Discard any runny whites.
- Assembly: Butter each bagel half. Place 2 bagels halves on each of four plates; top each bagel half with smoked salmon, arugula, poached egg and Béarnaise Sauce. Sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.
- Use fresh eggs as they will produce poached eggs with firmer whites.
- Add a sprinkle of capers if desired.
Per 1/4 recipe
Saturated Fat 23g