2.2 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
9 oz Savoy cabbage or kale, finely shredded
7 tbsp butter
1/3 cup of milk
Salt and black pepper
Optional: 6 scallions, white and green parts thinly sliced
Step by step
- Place the diced potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water; put on the lid and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through - they should easily slide off the point of a sharp knife. Drain in a large colander.
- While the potatoes are cooking, melt 2 tbsp of the butter in a skillet over a medium heat and add the cabbage. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft.
- Warm the milk. Add the remaining butter to the potatoes, season with salt and pepper, and mash together, slowly adding the milk. Taste as you go - you may decide you don’t need all the butter or milk.
- Mash thoroughly, until smooth and creamy, then stir in the cabbage until evenly combined and add the scallions if desired.
- Serve immediately with Bacon or Corned Beef.