Preparation time : 6 hours 40 minutes
2 tbsp canola oil
2 lb stewing pork (1 1/2-inch pieces)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp each cumin seeds, mustard seeds and crushed black peppercorns
1 large onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
2 Thai red chili peppers
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced fresh ginger
1 tsp each paprika and ground turmeric
1/2 tsp each ground cardamom and coriander
1/4 tsp each ground cinnamon and cloves
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 lb small potatoes
1 cup canned diced tomatoes
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup tomato paste
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro
4 cups cooked basmati rice, for serving
Step by step
- Place removable cooking pot in the multi pot. Do not close the lid. Press SAUTÉ button when indicator light is flashing. P15 (minutes) will show on the LED display. Decrease cook time to 10 minutes. Once multi pot has reached correct temperature and has beeped 3 times, the timer will start counting down.
- Add oil; heat for 1 minute. Add pork, salt, cumin, mustard seeds and peppercorns. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in onion, red pepper, chili peppers, garlic, ginger, paprika, turmeric, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, cloves and cayenne. Cook, stirring, until well coated or timer beeps.
- Stir in potatoes, diced tomatoes, broth, vinegar, tomato paste and sugar.
- Close and secure lid in place. Turn vent knob to Seal. Press the SLOW COOKING button on the multi pot. 04:00 (4 hours) will show on the LED display. Increase cooking time to 6 hours. When cooking is complete, multi pot will beep.
- Carefully remove lid. Stir in cilantro and serve with basmati rice.
- Substitute stewing beef or lamb for pork if desired.
- For an extra-spicy dish, garnish with sliced Thai chili peppers.
Per 1/4 recipe
Saturated Fat 5g