Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
Preparation time : 4 hours 30 minutes
1 tsp each salt, pepper and paprika
1/2 tsp each dried thyme
1/4 tsp each cayenne pepper and mustard powder
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 andouille sausages, sliced
1 onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 1/4 cups tomato paste
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 bay leaves
1 lb peeled deveined shrimp, tails removed (21 to 25 count)
2 green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
2 cups steamed white rice, for serving
Step by step
- Stir together salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, cayenne and mustard powder; set aside.
- Place removable cooking pot in the multi pot. Do not close the lid. Press SAUTÉ button when indicator light is flashing. P15 (minutes) will show on the LED display. Once multi pot has reached correct temperature and has beeped 3 times, the timer will start counting down.
- Add oil; heat for 1 minute. Stir in flour. Cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 12 minutesor until dark brown in color (but not burnt). Stir in sausages, onion, celery, red pepper, jalapeño, garlic and spice mixture. Cook, stirring, until timer beeps.
- Slowly whisk in wine and broth until blended. Stir in tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce and bay leaves.
- Close and secure lid in place. Turn vent knob to Seal. Press the SLOW COOKING button on the multi pot. 04:00 (4 hours) will show on the LED display. When cooking is complete, multi pot will beep.
- Stir in shrimp. Do not close the lid. Set SAUTÉ function to 1 minute. Cook, stirring frequently, until shrimp are cooked through and tender.
- Remove bay leaves before serving. Stir in green onions and parsley. Serve with rice.
- Serve with lemon wedges and additional hot sauce if desired.
- Substitute smoked or kielbasa sausage for andouille sausage if desired.
Per 1/4 recipe
Saturated Fat 3.5g