1 lb. strawberries
1 tsp ginger
1 vanilla pod, or 2 tsp. vanilla extract
2/3 cup preserving sugar
Step by step
- Wash the strawberries, then pat them dry and chop them into small pieces.
- Peel the ginger and chop into small pieces.
- Halve the vanilla pod lengthwise.
- Wash the lemon, rub dry, zest and press out the juice.
- Mix the strawberries with the preserving sugar in the saucepan.
- Add the ginger, vanilla pod, lemon zest and rind.
- Bring the strawberry mixture to the boil and allow to simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pan from the stove and, if necessary, skim off the froth with a slotted spoon.
- Immediately transfer the jelly into sterile jars, seal and place upside down.
- Leave the jars to cool for at least 12 hours and serve with fresh bread.
If strawberries are not in season, the jelly can also be made with frozen strawberries.