Tuscan White Beans with Kale
Preparation time : 1 hour
1 cup dried navy beans
1/4 cup olive oil
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1/4 cup torn fresh sage leaves
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cups thinly sliced kale leaves
1 tsp salt
2 cups strained puréed tomatoes (passata)
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Step by step
- Place beans and 4 cups of water in the removable cooking pot and place in the multi pot. Close and secure lid in place. Turn vent knob to Seal. Press the BEANS/CHILI button. P35 (35 minutes) will show on the LED display. Wait 3 seconds. It will start cooking and the time will start counting down. When cooking is complete, the multi pot will beep.
- Let pressure release on its own, or press Instant Pressure Release Button for quick release. Do not hold vent knob open. Safety Note: Using quick release method will release extremely hot steam into the air. This can cause burns. Please use oven mitts to protect your hands and arms, and keep all body parts, including the face, away from the steam vent.
- Once steam is released, carefully turn lid clockwise to unlock it. Remove the removable cooking pot using oven mitts for safety. Drain beans; set aside.
- Place removable cooking pot in the multi pot. Do not close the lid. Press SAUTÉ button when indicator light is flashing. P15 (minutes) will show on the LED display. Once multi pot has reached correct temperature and has beeped 3 times, the timer will start counting down.
- Add oil; heat for 1 minute. Add garlic, sage and hot pepper flakes. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until garlic is slightly softened. Stir in beans, kale and salt. Cook for about 5 minutes or until kale is wilted. Stir in tomatoes and lemon juice; bring to boil. Cook for about 5 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened. Sprinkle with Parmesan before serving.
Tip: Tuscan kale, also known as dinosaur, lacinato or black kale, works nicely for this dish. It has a milder and sweeter taste than regular kale.
Per 1/4 recipe
Saturated Fat 3.5g