Dumplings are an ideal accompaniment for a festive holiday roast, and they can absorb a lot of sauce for added flavor. There is a surprisingly wide range of dumpling recipes, and they can be a hit for dessert as well as for dinner. We present a wintry dumpling recipe that keys off the unique taste of pretzel rolls.
Recipe:pretzel dumplings with herbs
5 pretzels from the day before
teaspoon of butter lard 300 ml milk
½ bunch smooth parsley
1. Cut the pretzels into small pieces.
2. Finely chop the onion and fry it briefly in clarified butter.
3. Add 250ml of the milk and heat briefly, then allow to cool slightly.
4. Wash parsley, spin dry and finely chop.
5. Stir eggs into the chilled milk and sprinkle with the parsley over the pretzels.
6. Let the mixture soak for a few minutes.
7. Knead with your hands to a smooth dough and chop larger pretzel pieces. If necessary add some milk if the dough is too dry. Should it be too liquidly, breadcrumbs can be added.
8. Let the dough rest for another 15 minutes.
9. Make dumplings with wet hands and infuse in boiling, non-boiling salted water until they float up. Remove with a ladle and serve.
Picture 1: © Dar1930 / iStock
Picture 2: © bhofack2 / iStock