Poke Bowls bring a piece of Hawaii right to your own kitchen.This light and refreshing dish is a hot culinary trend, and it’s easy to make!
What is Poke?
Poke is a Hawaiian fish salad that consists of raw, marinated fish.The most traditional is "Ahi Poke" with diced tuna. Other seafood such as salmon, octopus, shrimp or mussels can also be used.Because the seafood is raw, always buy sashimi quality.
The spicy marinade typically combines soy sauce, sesame oil and various spices.There is also a creamier mayonnaise-based marinade.
What's in a Poke Bowl?
A Poke Bowl is made up of the raw fish or seafood of choice with a base of rice and/or salad.It is topped with fresh vegetables and herbs. Most commonly used toppings are avocado, pickled ginger, fresh cilantro and scallions. The best part of making your own bowl is being able to add any combination of your favorite vegetables and herbs!
Poke Bowl with Two Kinds of Tuna
Ingredients for the Bowl:
300 g rice
3 sprigs of fresh cilantro
30 g cashew nuts, natural
20 g kimchi
1. For the first marinade, mix soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed garlic, chopped ginger and scallions.
2. For the second marinade, mix together the mayonnaise, siracha or other chili sauce and salt.
3. Cut fish into 1 to 2 cm wide cubes, dividing into two bowls.Mix one bowl with the first marinade, and the other bowl with the second marinade.
4. Cover both bowls with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for about an hour.
5. While the fish is chilling, cook rice according to the package instructions.
6. Peel, wash and cut carrots and cucumber into small pieces.
7. Wash cilantro, dab it dry and roughly chop.
8. Chop the cashews and fry in a nonstick pan.
9. Halve the avocado, remove the pit, and cut into pieces.
10. Once all the ingredients are prepped and the fish is chilled, fill serving bowl with rice at the bottom and then top it off with the rest of the ingredients.
*If you want to make it look nice, place each ingredient in small piles next to each other.
Image 1: ©Louno_M/iStock
Image 2: ©Studio-Datsuzoku/iStock