Grilling is for more than just meat, fish and poultry. Fruit is a deliciously sweet option for your next BBQ. Here are some tips and a recipe for grilled mango and peach skewers!
1. Choose the right fruits
Not all fruit works well on the grill, stick with pitted fruits such as plums, peaches, apricots and mangos. Other dense fruits, such as pineapples, melons, figs, and pears, will work for a variety of creative desserts with endless combinations.
2. Pay attention to timing and preparation
Fruits are particularly sensitive to grilling and can’t be exposed to the same heat as meats or veggies. For best results, fruit should be placed on the edge of the charcoal grill surface or, for gas and electric grills, choose the medium-high temperature setting. It is important grill in large pieces or chunks. Tip: Place bananas in a fry pan on the grill.
3.Fun BBQ combinations
Here are a couple of food combinations to try: grilled honeydew melon with halloumi cheese and wild herb salad, foil-cooked sugar apricots with marinated pork medallions. Of course, grilled fruits are also a treat for dessert.
Recipe: Grilled Mango & Peach Skewers
8 wooden skewers 2 large mangos 4 large peaches 1 sprig rosemary 1 sprig thyme 6 tbsp agave syrup 6-8 dashes Tabasco 1 tsp chili flakes coarse sea salt 1 tbsp almond slivers, roasted
1. Soak the wooden skewers in water to avoid burning on the grill
2. Peel and cut mango into thick slices or chunks
3. Halve peach, or cut into quarters
4. Wash rosemary and thyme and spin dry, then finely chop
5. Combine agave syrup, Tabasco and chili flakes. Add herbs. Pour marinade over fruit and let sit for at least 2 hours.
6. Alternate mango and peach on the skewer
7. Place on the grill over medium heat until the fruit is lightly caramelized
8. Sprinkle with almond slivers and one pinch of sea salt. Serve.
Image Rights: © LauriPatterson / iStock;4kodiak / iStock