Poached eggs are an indispensable part of the breakfast tradition. It is surprisingly easy to prepare perfectly poached eggs with creamy yolks and firm whites. Serve poached eggs with the delicious recipe, featuring steamed spinach, spring onions, and sourdough bread.
1 slice of sourdough bread
1 spring onion
3/4 cup spinach leaves
3 tablespoons vinegar
1/8 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1. Toast sourdough bread, then butter.
2. Wash, dry and chop spring onion.
3. Wash spinach leaves, and pat dry.
4. In a nonstick pan, sauté spinach, covered, over medium heat, until wilted, 2-5 minutes. Remove from pan and drain any liquid. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Prepare poached egg using the traditional method below.
6. Top toasted and buttered bread with cooked spinach and freshly grated Parmesan. Place poached egg on top and add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with spring onions. When cutting the liquid egg yolk flows out - it's just delicious!
Traditional poached method:
1. Add 1-inch water and 3 tbsp white vinegar to a 2qt sauce pan.
2. Bring water and vinegar to a simmer over medium heat.
3. Crack an egg into a custard cup, or small ramekin.
4. Using the handle of a spatula, slowly stir water in one direction until it spins around.
5. Carefully slide egg out of the cup and into the swirling water.
6. Turn heat off, cover the pan, and let egg poach for 4-5 minutes.
7. Carefully lift egg out of water using a skimmer.
Tip:For Sunday brunch, make homemade hollandaise sauce for Eggs Benedict, an American favorite.